How to Apply

If the answers to your questions are not found here, please contact us or email 

 Q. How do I Apply?

Ans. All applicants are encouraged to apply online. The online process is designed to make the submission of your application as easy and accurate as possible and should last approximately 20 minutes. Ensure that you have a personal email address, this will be required to complete your application.

Applicants who are unable to apply online must either print an application form from the University’s website or obtain one from the Office Admissions and Enrolment Management.

Q. When is the deadline for Undergraduate Applications for Academic Year 2024/25 (August)?

Ans. All applicants are encouraged to apply early for priority consideration. There are two options when applying for admission, Early Bird option and Regular option. Late applications are only considered if there is space in the programme.

The Early Bird option is recommended primarily for highly qualified applicants, summer applicants and international applicants who would like an early decision on their application. Any applicant may apply during this period. Applications submitted during this period will be considered for admission and given an early decision. An early bird applicant is one who has submitted an application along with supporting documentation by the stipulated deadline.

The Regular option is the standard application option.

Applicants should apply by the following deadlines.

December 1, 2023 – Early Bird Deadline

March 28, 2024 – Regular Deadline* see late applications response below

Q. How should I send in paper application?

Ans. Application forms are available from the Admissions and Enrolment Office and on the University's website.

A non-refundable application fee of JA$1,000.00 for Jamaican residents and US$40.00 for Non-Jamaicans must be paid at the Accounts Department before the collection of application forms or upon submission of application forms downloaded from the website. All downloaded application forms and proof of qualifications must be submitted to an Admissions Representative along with the receipt of payment. 

Q. Do you accept late applications?

Ans. Late applications will only be considered if there is space in the programmes. Applicants submitting late applications should follow the normal procedure for submission of applications.


Q. How should I send in supporting documents?

Ans. Submitting supporting documents - Undergraduate Applicants

Supporting documents should be emailed to the Office of Admissions and Enrolment Management at but must be sent/taken in with the confirmation page, no later than December 1, 2023 for Early Bird applications; and no later than March 28, 2024 for Regular Applications. Applicants pending qualifications/results should ensure to email certified copy of birth certificate, then may submit results and other documents by the deadline.

Ans. Submitting supporting documents - Graduate Applicants

To complete your application to the University the confirmation page and all supporting documents should be e-mailed to the Office of Admissions and Enrolment Management at but must be sent/taken in with the confirmation page, no later than May 31, 2024 for August 2024 start and no later than August 31, 2024 for January 2025 start.

Q. What are Certified documents?

Ans. Certified documentary evidence

Copies of academic, birth (Jamaican Birth Certificate/Jamaican Certificate of Citizenship) and marriage certificates must be submitted along with the completed application form. Copies of passports may also be submitted.  These copies must be certified and stamped only by a Minister of Religion, Justice of the Peace,  Attorney-at-Law or Medical Practioner. ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS SHOULD ONLY BE SUBMITTED UPON REQUEST BY THE UNIVERSITY. Documents that have been tampered with will not be accepted and the applicant will forfeit chances of admission to the University.  

Transcripts from other tertiary institutions must also be submitted by the closing date for receipt of applications. It is not necessary to obtain a transcript from a secondary school.  Forms not properly completed, without proof of processing fee (for applications submitted manually), or without supporting documentation will not be processed. 

Q. Can I submit my supporting documents by email?

Ans. To complete your application to the university all supporting documents should be scanned and e-mailed to

Q. Should I reapply if I was denied entry in a previous application period?

Ans. Yes.  Applications submitted for an academic year are applicable to only that period, and is not carried over into the following academic year.  Therefore, once entry is denied, applicants will need to resubmit another application.

Q. What is the entry requirement for UTech, Jamaica?

Ans. The minimum requirement for entry to a Bachelor’s programme is five (5) CSEC or O/Level passes including Mathematics and English.             

Please note the entry varies according to the Programme.  Please read the Summary of Courses of Study for the specific requirements for your programme of interest.

Q. Is there any special entry requirement for persons who are not eligible for admissions under the normal requirements?

Ans. An individual who are not eligible for admission under the normal entry requirements, may apply for entry via Prior Learning Assessment. The applicant must demonstrate their potential for undergraduate university studies by virtue of attainments, prior learning and/or relevant work experience, all of which must be relevant to the proposed course of study.   In addition, the application must be supported in writing by individuals having first-hand knowledge of the applicant's potential.  Applicants' knowledge, skills and competencies will be evaluated under the University's Prior Learning Assessment Policy, in order to determine their equivalencies to the University's entry requirements.  He or she may be required to attend an interview as well as successfully complete Foundation Mathematics and/or Foundations of Academic Literacy which are offered at the UTech, Ja Academy.  For further information please contact the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Unit, Academic Affairs Division, UTech, Ja. at 927-1680-8 ext. 3394. 


Q. How old do I have to be to apply to UTech, Jamaica?

Ans. An applicant will be considered for a programme if s/he meets the normal matriculation requirements, and is at least 17 years of age by December of the year of admission.

Q. When will I know if I have been accepted - Undergraduate Applications?

Ans. Early Bird applicants will be given a decision no later than January 31, 2024.

Regular applicants will be given a decision no later than June 30, 2024.

Applicants to summer programmes will be advised of their status by March 28, 2024.

Each applicant who is offered a place at the University will be so advised by a letter from the Admissions Office. These applicants are required to pay a non-refundable enrolment commitment fee.  This fee will be applied to the University fees upon enrolment. An applicant’s acceptance can only be confirmed if the Enrolment Commitment fee has been paid.

Please contact the Admissions and Enrolment Office at for additional information.


Q. How do I Apply for Financial Aid?

Ans. A limited number of Financial Aid Office Grants are given to students who are experiencing severe economic hardships.  They assist with tuition fees, minor medical expenses, lunch (tickets for cafeteria), bus fares, books, rent and clothing for Teaching Practice and Seminars/Workshops. Grants are not normally given to first-year students.

Applicants must demonstrate financial need.  They are required to complete the prescribed form and submit it with a letter attesting to need from a Minister of Religion, Justice of the Peace, Lecturer or last school Principal. Applicants will be interviewed and assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Please contact the Financial Aid office for further information.

Q. Can I study full time or part time?

Ans. Students' status is now based on the number of credits taken per semester and not the time of day they attend classes.

Students are allowed to select between nine and 21 credits per semester.  Students carrying less than 12 credits are considered to be attending in a part-time mode.

Q. Are books included in tuition & fees?

Ans. No.   Unfortunately books are not included in tuition & fees.

Q. Do students have to live on campus?

Ans. The University currently provides a limited number of residential facilities for full-time students on the Papine campus.  There are six halls of residence, two of which are assigned to male students; the remaining four are assigned to females.  Boarding Application is done online.  Interested persons are required to complete the form by the end of January.  

The Accommodation Office also assists students in finding affordable and comfortable off-campus accommodation.  For further information kindly contact the Accommodation Officer, Students Services Building, extension 2191, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday or email

Q. If I live on Dorm, Do I have to leave during Holidays?

Ans. The fees you pay cover the semester period.  Therefore students are asked to evacuate the dorm at the end of a semester period.  Should you require accommodation after the semester period you should submit an application one month before the break and pay the weekly-prescribed fee.

Q. Do Males and Females share Facilities?

Ans. Males and Females do not share facilities.  There are two halls allocated to males: Farquharson Hall and Hall F; and four halls allocated to females: Garvey Hall and Halls A, B & E

Q. What about students’ safety on campus?

Ans. Students’ safety and the security of the University are the primary concerns of Administration.  Security Guards are on patrol seven days per week for 24 hours on all days.  There are also several electronic security systems in place,

Q. I have been given an offer for this coming year, but I cannot make it.  Can I defer the offer to another year?

Ans. Yes.  Applicants offered admission to the University may request a deferral of their registration for a period not exceeding one year. Requests for deferral can be done  by using the Student Relations Management System link: or in writing (Email: the University Registrar, and copied to the Student Relations Officer, Student Relations Unit and the Head of School in the relevant College or Faculty before the beginning of the instructional period in which the Course of Study would normally commence.  Approval will be contingent on the payment of the Enrolment Commitment Deposit (ECD).

Applicants who have been granted deferrals will be guaranteed places for the next academic year, in the Course of Study for which the original offer was made, only if there are no changes to its matriculation requirements.   A new application will be required if there have been changes to the matriculation requirements.   

Q. Do I have to pay my tuition in full at the start of the school year?

Ans. The University has implemented its semesterisation system which is now in effect. Semesterisation allows students entering in Year 1 to select modules and class times online using UTech, Ja 's webpage.  This also allows students to select and pay for modules based on their affordability or according to the fee payment plan at the beginning of each Academic Year.

Tuition fee is based on the modules students will undertake during the academic year and examinations fees, which is to be paid per semester. Ancillary fees are paid yearly.

Q. What is semisterisation?

Ans. This enables delivery of modules in undergraduate programmes in a way that permits flexible scheduling and improved accessibility for enrolment. It offers students some flexibility in selecting modules and allows them to pursue studies at their desired pace. Additionally, semesterisation fosters cross-faculty integration amongst students and promotes efficient utilization of the University's resources.

Q. Do you have any scholarships?

Ans. A Scholarship Listing is prepared for each academic year which provides information on all available scholarships and criteria for each.

For scholarships with special application forms, the forms can be collected at the Financial Aid Office, Student Services Department.  For further information visit the website at

Q. How long does each programme last?

Ans. Students enrolled for undergraduate courses of study will be allowed a maximum of the prescribed time plus two years to complete.

 If the answers to your questions are not found here, please contact us or email